Sunday, January 31, 2010

Guardian

Last night I had my dear friend Lisa over for dinner. I had expected for it to be a time of connection and laughter, for just catching up and enjoying life together. Obviously our Father had some bigger plans.

Last night I recieved a gift. And although it was from my friend, I knew in my spirit that it was inspired by God. Lisa has been a part of my journey for many years. She knows of my pain and of my triumph. She has held my hand through difficult choices I’ve made, encouraged me in moments of confusion, and had prayed for me more faithfully than anyone else I know. It’s safe to say that Lisa truly knows me. She loves me. And I am incredibly blessed to have such an amazing friend.

In the past months, I have confided in Lisa about my struggles in becoming healthy. She knows how depressed I became while coming to terms with having Celiac Disease. She asks me the tough questions, like if I am tempted to fall back into unhealthy coping skills. She was one of the few honest friends who helped me understand how frustrating I was to be friends with when I chose not to acknowledge my ADHD. She was honest when I hurt her feelings and when I let her down.

Last night after our dinner, where Lisa tried my gluten free pasta dish with no fear, she gave me a card and a package. I opened the card and read the small piece of paper included. It talked about the meaning of my name, the Hebrew context.

The meaning of the word my name is derived from means the following: house, shelter, home and family. I read it and could not stop crying as I connected the recent visions I’ve received to the deeper meaning of my name. It was like confirmation of my purpose.

Next I read the card. At the end it said “May you never forget the moment of your divine commissioning and may you always hold fast to the promises God has given you surrounding this. He has called you a GUARDIAN, and that is forever what you will be. Lives will be changed because of your presence, your touch, and your love.”

Again, cue the tears.

Finally I opened the box. In it was the best gift ever. A WillowTree figurine named “guardian. Love and Protect thee, forever”.

I saw the sweetness of God in this gift. I have seen so many WillowTree figurines over the years- with each one causing a secret desire to have one of my own. I would always tell myself: someday you’ll be a mother and then you can have one.

I was wrong. I have one now, a reminder of His amazing grace and provision. I’m in awe.

The woman sitting on the Rock, holding the promised baby in her arms, eyes closed singing softly to bring him comfort. It’s a vision of me.

And I have a friend who believes with me. For this gift, I am truly humbled.

No comments: